Understanding the Types of Visas Small Businesses Encounter: A Guide for Employers 

The economy in the United States is one of the world’s largest, and one of the main driving factors for its success is the ability of immigrants to come to the states to work, start a business, or study to improve their education. Several different types of visas can be categorized into non-immigrant (temporary) and Immigrant (permanent). It’s important to know the different kinds of visas you may encounter when managing a business to know what to expect.

Non-Immigrant Visas

Non-Immigrant Visas are visas for people looking to work or attend school in the United States. These visas are issued on a temporary basis and can last for one to several years.

F Visas (Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training)

F visas are primarily for academic students and are more intended for use with internships. Students can work as long as the course of study is maintained and must work on campus during the first year. After the first year, students can work in Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training. Businesses can hire an intern after the visa expires, but the intern will need to ensure they begin applying for a new visa before the F visa expires.

H-1B Visa

An H-1B Visa is for professionals in a specific field or academic field with expertise with a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience where a US employee could not be placed. This type of visa is in high demand, and there is a cap on how many visas can be issued annually. Employers must also prove there is a lack of qualified applicants in the field to qualify.

Specific record-keeping requirements and compliance rules regarding pay levels and job postings exist. A business can hire an H-1B holder working for another employer by becoming a “sponsoring employer.” The employer will need to follow the compliance requirements for the H1-B visa.

J Visa

J visas are available for exchange visitors involved in work or study programs for teaching, studying, researching, training, and more. These roles include interns, au pairs, doctors, teachers, research assistants, and more.

L Visa

Foreign employers who want to set up a branch or subsidiary or send an employee to the United States send employees on L visas. Employees much are working for an organization for at least one continuous year and be looking to provide a service in an executive or managerial role.

Immigrant Visas – Employer Related

An immigrant visa is designated for people and their families with the education, expertise, eligibility, and skill set to become permanent resident of the United States.

EB Visas

EB visas are for immigrant workers who demonstrate impressive skills in their field. This visa can be used for priority workers, professionals holding degrees or people with exceptional ability, professionals and other workers, and some special immigrants. Spouses and children of these visa holders are eligible for immigration status depending on their situation.

If you’re a small business owner looking to hire foreign workers and need help navigating the complex process of obtaining visas, our team of HR experts is here to assist you.

Contact us today to learn more about our visa services and how we can help you find and retain top talent from around the world or learn more here: https://www.konahr.com/hr-management/

the letter k is shown in black and green

Let's Start a Conversation

Fill out the form below and a member of our team will contact you within 10 minutes. (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm EST)

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.